The International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant (MM / Investigator-Development of Training Manuals)
CFCV No.: CFCV2020 / 053
Organizational Unit: Migration Management (MM)
Duty Station: Home based with Travels
IOM Classification: Consultant
Type of Appointment: Consultant, 45 working days within a duration of 6 months
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
The consultancy will support activities within the implementation framework of the Project – Strengthening the Capacity of the Justice Sector to Address Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants in the Edo and Delta States, implemented by the International Organization for Migration(IOM) with funding from the IOM Development Fund (IDF)
The project aims to contribute to Federal Government of Nigeria (FGN)’s efforts to combat Trafficking in Persons (TiP) and Smuggling of Migrants (SoM) through Strengthening the Capacity of the Justice Sector to Address Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants in the Edo and Delta States in Nigeria.
While the underlying elements of human trafficking are difficult to understand, governments have an important role in ensuring that perpetrators are brought to justice effectively and protection of victims is assured. When officials, throughout the criminal justice sector, have a precise understanding of its core elements, they are better equipped to serve victims and society.
Considering the high incidence of smuggling of migrants and trafficking in persons in Nigeria, especially in the Edo and Delta States, there is an urgent need to address the issue through multiple approaches, including engagement of the justice sector, specifically by providing capacity-building assistance.
The project aims to ensure that all relevant arms of the justice sector (investigators, prosecutors and judges) are able to bring perpetrators of human trafficking and smuggling of migrants to justice effectively and that protection of victims is guaranteed.
In order to achieve this objective, the project will work with relevant partners to develop and pilot contextualized training manuals, organize training-of-trainers, and support the roll-out of training targeted to the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), police investigators, persecutors from NAPTIP, Edo and Delta States ministries of justice, and judges of the Federal High Court in Edo and Delta States, among others.
Working under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MM/AVRR), under the direct supervision of the National Programme Officer (Migration Management) and in close coordination with the Project team, the consultant will be responsible for the development of a contextualized training manual on victim centered investigation of of cases of trafficking in persons and smuggling of migrants in Edo and Delta States.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Develop a work plan and methodology for the delivery of the consultancy in coordination with the National Programme Officer (Migration Management).
- Conduct desk research to mine data and information relevant to the assignment.
- Submit an inception report on the assignment.
- Closely engaging relevant stakeholders, develop gender-sensitive training manuals on investigation of cases of human trafficking and smuggling of migrants based on national legislation, international legal framework and best international practices while reflecting national context.
- Facilitate one review and validation workshop with relevant stakeholders including trainers from the training institutions and operatives.
- Participate in advocacy sessions to the Nigeria Police Force and the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) to integrate the manual into the training curriculum of the institutions
- Facilitate a Training-of-Trainers sessions for investigators using the developed manual.
- Facilitate two training sessions for investigators from NAPTIP and the Nigerian Police Academy using the developed manual.
- Undertake duty travel as necessary to complete the above-mentioned tasks.
- Draft and submit a comprehensive final report of the assignment
Tangible and Measurable Output of the Work Assignment
- Submit inception phase report.
- Submit validated training manuals on gender-sensitive, human rights focused investigation of trafficking and smuggling of migrants’ cases.
- Facilitate review and validation workshop with relevant stakeholders including trainers from the training institutions and operatives and submit workshop report.
- Facilitate training workshops facilitated (ToT and Training of operatives) and submit training workshop report and submit training workshop reports.
- Submit final report with all the relevant materials used attached as annexes.
Deliverables and Timelines
- The total duration of the consultancy is expected to take 45 working days, over a period of six months.
Deliverables – Timelines:
- Detailed inception report including workplan and methodology 5 days
- Development of training manual – 15 days
- Validation Workshop – 5 days
- Advocacy sessions for integration of training manual into the training curriculum of the relevant institutions – 5 days
- Training of trainers’ workshop – 5 days
- Training of Operatives workshop – 5 days
- Final Report – 5 days
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A Postgraduate Degree in Law, Criminology and Related Social Sciences or related field from accredited academic institution.
- Minimum of Six years of professional experience in the field of criminal investigation. Specific experience providing training on the investigation of cases of trafficking is an added advantage.
- Demonstrated expertise in the investigation of transnational organized crimes.
- Demonstrated experience in the development of training manuals and execution of trainings.
- Proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of the dynamics of trafficking in person and smuggling of migrants in Nigeria and understanding of national, regional and global issues.
- Demonstrated experience in the coordination of complex programmes implying multiple partners and stakeholders.
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other international / national institutions and bodies
- Proven facilitation skills highly desirable.
- Excellent Microsoft Word skills and ability to take notes / drafts and produce high-quality written reports.
- Motivated, committed, responsible, and able to work independently with limited direct supervision.
- Fluency in English; knowledge of multiple languages advantageous;
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – Behavioural Indicators:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Application Closing Date
Thursday 1st October, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Applications via email to: HRNIGERIA@iom.int using the Job Title as the subject of the mail.
Click here for more information (pdf)
- For the applications to be considered valid, IOM only accepts applications with a Cover Letter not more than one page
- specifying the motivation for application, addressed to “Human Resources, International Organization for Migration (IOM)” and with a subject line CFCV2020 / 053 Lagos. Consultant (MM / Investigator-Development of Training Manuals)
- All applications should include a functional email address, mobile numbers and detailed curriculum vitae (CV).
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
- Women are encouraged to apply.