CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in 100 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from disaster response to food and nutrition to education and work for women and girls to healthy mothers and children. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because when they have equal access to resources, they lift their families and communities out of poverty. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for 75 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and Fight with CARE.
Work Location : Nigeria- Abuja
Other Possible Location :
Expected Travel : up to 30%
Language Requirement : ENGLISH
Employee Duration : Active Full-Time
CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. In Nigeria, CARE is seeking a visionary Country Director who will lead the Nigeria Country Office in pursuit of this vision. We place a particular emphasis on women and girls, their dignity and empowerment to lead their communities out of poverty.
The Country Director will have overall responsibility and leadership to ensure the relevance, impact and cost-effectiveness of CARE International in Nigeria. S/he will represent CARE International (CI) in the country, guiding a relevant program strategy development and implementation, ensuring effective humanitarian capacity and timely response, leading operational planning, and overseeing financial, operations and human resource management, including the safety and security of all CI staff and visitors in Nigeria.
CARE began work in Nigeria in 2017 in response to the humanitarian crisis arising from the conflict in the Northeast. CARE is currently active in the 2 worst hit states in the northeast (Borno and Yobe) and in the Northwest states of Bauchi and Jigawa, in the areas of Food Nutrition, Security & Livelihoods, Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights, Gender-based Violence Prevention and Response and Women’s Economic Empowerment.
CARE Nigeria seeks to transform its organizational architecture to be rooted in Nigeria, inclusive of the voices of the most marginalized while staying aligned to CARE International global outcomes and approaches. It has been identified as a candidate for transforming into an independent local entity and national member of the CARE International confederation. The Country Director is expected to provide strategic leadership in the analysis, planning and implementation of this organizational transformation.
- Representation and Relationships/Communication, information and public relations
- Development and Implementation of New Business Model
- Program Development and Implementation
- Country Office Strategic and Operational Planning and Implementation
- Country Office Financial, Budget and Administration Management
- Human Resources Development and Management /Safety and Security
- Ensure CARE’s stance on Protection, Sexual, Harassment Exploitation and Abuse [PSHEA] is monitored and adhered to by staff, our Partners and individuals/organizations
- Bachelor’s Degree in Appropriate educational background and qualifications commensurate with the seniority of the position
- 8-10 years in senior management experience in international development and humanitarian assistance, in contexts similar to Nigeria
- Fluent in English (speaking, reading and writing)
Skills and Experiences:
- Demonstrated experience in leading strategic and operational planning in complex international setting
- Strong human resource management skills including capacity building, coaching and conflict management
- Solid understanding of Nigeria context, including crisis context, development trends, private sector dynamics and strong knowledge of key stakeholders
- Strong representation, influencing and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated experience and management skills in business start-ups, change management, organizational development or equivalent combination and experience
- Demonstrated commitment to gender equality, diversity, equity and inclusion
- Demonstrated self-awareness, leadership and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge and experience with financial management as demonstrated by ability to manage complex budget and ensure donor compliance and reporting
Competencies and behaviors:
- Humility and respect for all regardless of origin, race or gender
- Change-capable leadership behavior
- Agile, flexible and strategic thinker
- Strong listening and decision making skills
- Ability to inspire, guide and motivate a team
- Commitment and belief in the capacity of younger generations to lead