You are applying for the development cooperation trainee program, a program to promote young talent from the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). Training is provided for organizations involved in German and multilateral development cooperation (DC) . The program is carried out by the German Society for International Cooperation (GIZ) on behalf of the BMZ. The focus of the program is on the expansion of management skills and the acquisition of work experience in program creation and control of German development cooperation.
The structure of the program enables you to get to know the structures, actors and functionality of development cooperation in an “on the job” training from different perspectives: During the 17-month training you will go through three practical phases. After one month of preparation, you start with the 8-month assignment in the above-mentioned function and in the country mentioned. You then choose a 3-month assignment at an international organization and end with a 5-month assignment at the BMZ.
The trainee remuneration is € 1,900 gross / month
Further information on the development cooperation trainee program can be found on the BMZ website: http://www.bmz.de/de/ministerium/beruf/arbeitsmoegitäten_ausland/nachwuchs.html
and GIZ: https://www.giz.de/de/jobs/446.html
- Job ID: P0158V126
- Place of use: Abuja
- Period of use: 07/01/2021 – 11/30/2022
- Area of Expertise: Healthcare
- Type of employment: Full time
- Application time: 10/26/2020
Field of activity
As part of the trainee program, you will be assigned to the Regional Pandemic Preparedness Program in Nigeria for 8 months.
The project aims to improve the advice and support that the Ecomonic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) Commission, West African Health Organization (WAHO) and specialized agencies provide to Member States in preparing for and responding to pandemics. This is based on the core capacities of the International Health Regulations (IHR) set by the World Health Organization (WHO), which are implemented at the level of the individual member states.
You will work together with the project manager and a technical consultant on the implementation of the key activities for the follow-up project starting next year.
Your tasks in the first practical phase:
- Support in setting up important start-up activities of the follow-up project Regional Pandemic Preparedness Project (RPPP 1), including planning meetings, project documentation and communication materials, knowledge management.
- Support in the external evaluation of RPPP 1 (including planning meetings, project documentation and communication materials, knowledge management ).
- Support for certain project activities to be determined.
The two subsequent practical phases and the tasks there are developed in the course of the development cooperation trainee program.
You have these professional qualifications for the first practical phase:
- Studied public health, veterinary public health, biology and anthropology
- Main focus of the degree in health protection, zoonoses, microbiology and pathology
- Necessary technical knowledge in the area of Pandemic Preparedness, One Health,
The following knowledge and experience round off your qualifications for the entire development cooperation trainee program:
- Knowledge of development cooperation
- First practical experience in a developing country
- Willingness to change location several times
- open to use in different organizations
- Intercultural Competence
- Fluent language skills in German, English and French
The knowledge and experience may have been acquired through an internship.
Information about Nigeria can be found here.
We expect fluent knowledge of German and ask you to submit all application documents in German.
Please understand that we can only accept and process applications via our e-recruiting system. If this is not possible for you, please do not hesitate to contact the person named in the job advertisement.
Please check your spam / junk folder in your inbox regularly, as the e-mails from our e-recruiting system are classified as spam by some providers.
Please check that you have received an automatically generated confirmation of receipt.
GIZ wants to encourage people with disabilities to start their careers. Therefore, applications from people with disabilities are given special consideration.
Please note that we expect around 1,500 applications for the development cooperation trainee advertisements. We try to complete the preselection by Christmas. Please be patient, every applicant will receive information by the end of December at the latest whether he / she is shortlisted or not.