Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Contract
Job Field: AGORA
Experience: 1 year
About the Project
AGORA is a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives, founded in 2016. AGORA promotes efficient, inclusive and integrated local planning, aid response and service delivery in contexts of crisis through applying settlement-based processes and tools. AGORA enables more efficient and tailored aid responses to support the recovery and stabilization of crisis-affected communities, contributing to meet their humanitarian needs, whilst promoting the re-establishment of local services and supporting local governance actors.
AGORA promotes multi-sectoral, settlement-based aid planning and implementation, structured around partnerships between local, national and international stakeholders. AGORA’s core activities include area-based needs and capacity assessments, evidence-based local planning, as well as support to area-based coordination mechanisms institutional cooperation and tailor-made capacity strengthening for local institutional actors.
The project Response to Resilience is being performed by a consortium of IRC, ACTED, and IMPACT. Based on the information delivered by IMPACT, ACTED and IRC will design their project activities. Those activities involve Community forums on the neighbourhood level & city level, capacity development for decision-makers & first responders, and resilience plans for the three targeted neighbourhoods.
In the framework of the project, IMPACT, through its initiative AGORA, will realize an area-based assessment in 3 target neighbourhoods in Maiduguri. Household quantitative surveys with residents (hosts communities and IDPs) focus group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews (KIIs) with service providers will be conducted during the assessment.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs.
About the Job
- AGORA a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives is therefore looking for an Outreach Assistant to support its mission in Maiduguri.
- Under the supervision of the Project Manager and supported by the Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers, the Outreach Worker will engage and maintain good relationships with the population, tradition leaders, LGAs, service providers and government ministries and agencies that form part of the City-Level coordination forum.
Support facilitation of 3 Neighbourhood-Level and City-Level Disaster Coordination Forums:
- Under the direct supervision of Senior Liaison & Coordination Officer together with the relevant local authorities, established three Neighbourhood-Level Disaster Coordination Forums, one in each of the three target neighbourhoods of the project and one at the city level, to coordinate resilience-building actions undertaken by service providers in these neighbourhoods and the LGAs at large:
- Facilitate Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings monthly in the Neighbourhood level and quarterly in the city level, by maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, with accurate record-keeping of participants’ discussions.
- Establish and maintain neighbourhood-level 5Ws for service provision in the three target neighbourhoods and members of the city level coordination forum
Link between traditional institutes, service provider, Local Government Authorities and Government Ministries and Agencies and project team:
- Under the direct supervision of the Senior Liaison Officer the outreach assistant will serve as a link between the traditional institutes, service provider, Local Government Authorities and Government Ministries and Agencies in the target areas and the project team.
- She/he organises meetings, engages and keeps track of all-important stakeholder’s in the target areas of the project.
- The building up a good working relationship with those stakeholders is crucial for the success of his / her assignment.
Involvement in Programme Reporting:
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager as required, to meet internal and donor reporting requirements on the project (Providing minutes of the meetings, reports from the stakeholders, any relevant information within the framework of the project)
Note: All interested Candidates should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- High School Diploma / National Diploma or Degree in relevant discipline Social Science, Social Work required
- Minimum of 1-year work experience
- A local resident of Borno State preferred resident of MMC or Jere LGA
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English, Kanuri and Hausa a must.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for reporting and external coordination;
- Strong skills with the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong technical writing skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experiences in managing government stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills
- Work experience as an emergency responder (MMC and Jere LGAs) is a very strong asset.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in various different communities in MMC & Jere LGA
- Ability to work independently
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Experience in urban management and city resilience
- Knowledge of the urban system management in Maiduguri
Essential Knowledge and skills:
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Start date: As soon as possible – Desirable
Method of Application
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologies for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
Interested and qualified? Go to ACTED Nigeria on docs.google.com to apply