Our vision Since 1993, as the second French NGO, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
Experience: 2 years
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Job Type: Contract
Job Field AGORA
About the Project
AGORA is a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives, founded in 2016. AGORA promotes efficient, inclusive and integrated local planning, aid response and service delivery in contexts of crisis through applying settlement-based processes and tools. AGORA enables more efficient and tailored aid responses to support the recovery and stabilization of crisis-affected communities, contributing to meet their humanitarian needs, whilst promoting the re-establishment of local services and supporting local governance actors.
AGORA promotes multi-sectoral, settlement-based aid planning and implementation, structured around partnerships between local, national and international stakeholders. AGORA’s core activities include area-based needs and capacity assessments, evidence-based local planning, as well as support to area-based coordination mechanisms institutional cooperation and tailor-made capacity strengthening for local institutional actors.
The project Response to Resilience is being performed by a consortium of IRC, ACTED, and IMPACT. Based on the information delivered by IMPACT, ACTED and IRC will design their project activities. Those activities involve Community forums on the neighbourhood level & city level, capacity development for decision-makers & first responders, and resilience plans for the three targeted neighbourhoods.
In the framework of the project, IMPACT, through its initiative AGORA, will realize an area-based assessment in 3 target neighbourhoods in Maiduguri. Household quantitative surveys with residents (hosts communities and IDPs) focus group discussions (FGDs) and key informant interviews (KIIs) with service providers will be conducted during the assessment.
In light of the displacement in the north-eastern part of Nigeria, ACTED has set up an office in Maiduguri to respond to the humanitarian needs.
About the Job
- AGORA a joint initiative of ACTED and IMPACT Initiatives is therefore looking for a Preparedness Capacity Development & Engagement Officer to support its mission in Maiduguri.
- Under the supervision of Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers and supported by Project Manager, the Preparedness Capacity Development & Engagement Officer will organize and plan capacity development activities and simulation exercises to stakeholders ranging from state, local government level and traditional institution from the grassroots.
Support facilitation & planning of capacity development activities:
- Together with the Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers and the project manager, develop training for disaster preparedness and response
- Support the development of a strong partnership with Nigerian capacity development institutes (eg. Center for Disaster Risk Management and Development Studies UNIMAID)
- Support the Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers and DDR PM in the standardization and publication of training material
- Supported by the senior liaison officers, keep good relationships with local authorities and other beneficiaries/participants of the capacity development activities.
- Book venues and set-up the working environment for successful capacity developments and training
- Support the facilitation of disaster simulation exercises for local emergency responders:
- Support the Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers and the project manager in developing disaster simulation exercises in collaboration with local emergency responders
- Together with the Senior liaison officer maintain good relations with the required disaster responders
- Plan, organize and support the procurement of necessary equipment for the exercises
Support the design and implementation of resilience plans for three neighbourhoods in the city of Maiduguri:
- Support the consortium in developing resilience plans for three neighbourhoods in the city of Maiduguri
- Support the consortium in the implementation of selected activities outlined in the neighbourhood resilience plans
Capacity and Gap Analysis:
- Conduct thorough capacity and gap analyses of the State, Municipal, and Local level authorities with which the project will engage, to better understand where and how the project can support capacity strengthening for urban disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri
Support in other program activities:
- If necessary, support the project manager and the Senior Liaison & Coordination Officers in other program activities.
- Reporting of the activities and relevant information to the project manager and project officer
- Participate in the program meetings to develop new capacity-building tools for the authorities
Note: All interested Candidates should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- High School Diploma / National Diploma or Degree in Disaster Risk Management, Engineering subjects, Geography, Education or Social Sciences
- A resident of Borno State preferred resident of MMC or Jere LGA
- Excellent knowledge about the urban context of the city of Maiduguri
- Previous working experience with emergency responders (SEMA, NEMA, Fire Fighters, Ambulance Services)
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries, duty bearers and other stakeholders.
- At least 2 years of relevant working experience in capacity building, report writing and conducting training.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Good facilitation and audience coaching oriented skills
- Fluency written and spoken fluency in English and Hausa at must; additional fluency in Kanuri preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and team-playing skills.
- Experiences in developing training for local stakeholders
- Excellent time management skills
- Work experience as an emergency responder (SEMA, NEMA, Fire Fighters or Ambulance Services) is a very strong asset.
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility
- Prior experience working in various communities in MMC & Jere LGA
- Ability to work independently
- Understanding of gender, protection and human rights.
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
Essential Knowledge and skills:
- All employees should master ACTED’s core Principles: Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, Ethics, Professionalism, anti-Corruption, Transparency and Accountability
- Contract length: 6 Months with possibility of extension
- Start date: As soon as possible – Desirable
Method of Application
- Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail otherwise not considered.
- ACTED considers all applicants based on merit without regard to race, sex, colour religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability.
- CVs will be reviewed on rolling bases Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidates. We apologies for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for a written test and oral interview.
Interested and qualified? Go to ACTED Nigeria on docs.google.com to apply