The Senior Driver To The Head of Office, provides reliable and safe driving services to the Representative, Deputy Representative, and other high-ranking UNFPA officials and visitors ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity, sense of responsibility, and excellent knowledge of protocol and security issues. The Senior Driver also demonstrates a client-oriented approach, courtesy, confidentiality, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds. Upon the request of the supervisor, the Senior Driver can be also required to provide driving services to the operations and programme staff in the Sub Offices, consultants and experts and UNFPA staff on mission, but this will not be the predominant function of the post.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
LEVEL OF POST – ICS 03
POSITION NUMBER – 5127
DUTY STATION – ABUJA, NIGERIA
CLOSING DATE – FRIDAY 30 OCTOBER, 2020
CONTRACT TYPE: FIXED TERM APPOINTMENT
DURATION: ONE YEAR* (RENEWABLE BASED ON AVAILABILITY OF FUNDS AND SATISFACTORY PERFORMANCE).
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and safe driving services by driving office vehicles for the transport of UNFPA Representative.
- Drives other high-ranking UN officials and visitors.
- Delivers and collects mail, documents and other items.
- Meets official personnel and visitors at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Keeps abreast of traffic and road and security and safety awareness to enable safe and on time arrival for meetings.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes and water levels. car washing, etc so that the vehicle is kept clean and in good running condition at all times
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle.
- Ensures availability of MOSS complaint items in the assigned vehicle at all time.
- Ensures that the steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in an accident;
- Provides guidance and coaching to junior drivers as necessary;
- Assists office staff in filing, photocopying and maintaining stores when required.
- In collaboration with the Protocol Clerk, facilitates the procurement of visas for staff members, Government officials, traveling abroad for meetings and other official engagements;
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
Possess at least secondary school Certificate Possess valid professional driving license and Trade Test Certificate
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrate proficiency/skill in vehicle mechanical operation.
- Have the ability to read and write English
- Have a minimum of 3 years professional driving experience with a reputable organization
- Have work history of at least 3 years in the UN system is desirable.
Fluency in English required. Very strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
• Exemplifying integrity
• Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system
• Embracing diversity in all its forms
• Embracing change
• Achieving Results
• Being Accountable
• Developing and Applying Professional Expertise/Business Acumen
• Thinking analytically and Strategically
• Working in Teams/Managing Ourselves and our Relationships
• Communicating for Impact
UNFPA Work Environment
UNFPA provides a work environment that reflects the values of gender equality, teamwork, Embracing diversity in all its forms, integrity and a healthy balance of work and life. We are committed to maintaining our balanced gender distribution and therefore encourage women to apply. UNFPA promotes equal opportunities for all including persons with disabilities.
WARNING TO APPLICANTS:
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you have received a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web. Should you feel that you have received a fraudulent notice, letter or offer that makes use of the name or logo of UNFPA, you may submit a report through the UNFPA fraud hotline http://www.unfpa.org/help/hotline.cfm