The Maryland Global Initiatives Corporation is a nonprofit affiliate of the University of Maryland, Baltimore established by UMB to carry out UMB’s programs to strengthen health systems and improve the human condition in the areas where UMB operates through MGIC. MGIC has IJMB-approved affiliates, field offices, and program offices (collectively known as ‘country offices’) throughout sub-Saliaran Africa. MGIC activities are funded generally by U.S. government entities through cooperative agreements with UMB.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Database & GIS Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reports To: Monitoring and Evaluation Lead
Work Schedule: M-F, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Grade Level: Aligns with Country Salary Structure
Position Type: Full-time staff position
- The database and GIS officer leads the design and implementation of DHIS2 and other related project databases.
- S / he ensures timely collation, transmission and accuracy of at data captured in the project databases, performs database maintenance functions aid address issues related to electronic data.
- Support the achievement of project goals aid targets especially as ft relate to management of electronic databases including DHIS, LAMIS. Other responsibilities include the design and creation of spatial products e.g. maps, digital data, reports and statistics.
- She prepares and maintains metadata documentation of GIS databases.
- Database & GIS officer will report to the Monitoring & Evaluation Lead and will be assigned to core strategic areas as detailed below.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the M&E lead and MEL Director in keeping track of summary data reported from supported facilities into the DHIS
- Ensure prompt entry of facility specific summary data (as applicable) from source documents into databases following format displayed on screen.
- Retrieves and sorts electronic data from the project databases identifies and interprets data trends and identifies quality gaps.
- Works with State / Regional M&E officers to resolve questions, inconsistencies or missing data and verifies accuracy of data entered on electronic data management systems.
- Performs general database maintenance activities, to ensure regular backups and integrity of data recovery.
- Maintains regular database reporting cycles including enabling and disabling datasets for entry.
- Ensures timely routine data transmission from the various facilities to the country office databases.
- Generates reports and analysis products and responds to inquiries regarding electronic data.
- Conducts data concurrence checks between the projects DHIS2 databases and Government of Nigeria and donor specific databases including DPRS NHMIS, DATIM,APPR, NDR and LAMIS.
- Provides feedback to facilities and state offices on data quality and service quality following data analysis.
- Maintains a change management procedure and log files for all changes to reported data on the databases.
- Maintains confidentiality of information on databases.
- Develops user manuals Standard Operating Procedure manuals and job aids to aid users of the supported databases.
- Design systems to create and automate special maps from GIS and health datasets.
- Create and maintain structures necessary for GIS data collection and storage.
- Use tools to combine GIS datasets aid create new information, investigate patterns and analyze spatial data.
- Customize desktop GIS software to facilitate end user training and ease of use; train users and provide support for desktop applications.
- Ensure that GIS is being used as an effective tool for decision making
- Gates out routine preventive maintenance of computing resources used for project database management activities and escalates any system error or software bugs to appropriate officers.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Required level of proficiency in English (speaking, reading, and writing).
Application Closing Date
16th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online