The Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Consultant – Facilitate National Malaria Case Management Document Revision
Reference No.: R339
Employment Type: Part-time
Objective of the Consultancy
- The PMI-S project implemented by the Management Science for Health is seeking a local consultant to facilitate a revision process of national strategic documents related to malaria case management.
Period of Performance:
- This consultancy is for a non-consecutive period of 35 working days starting in October 2020.
- A Baseline Analysis (BA) was conducted by PMI-S to assess the current status of strategic documents-national policies, guidelines, training materials, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and job aids as they pertain to NMEP readiness to support state implementation of malaria case management. As a result, the BAR found that most documents align with WHO guidelines. However, some of these strategic documents are either outdated, or incomplete. In addition, the availability of SOP and job aids as stand-alone documents for use at service points is not proven. As part of the BA desk review, about 26 documents related to case management were reviewed and required different specific actions.
- In view of the above, PMI-S has committed to collaborate with the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) to revise Seven documents 1.) National guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of malaria, 2015; 2) Health facility trainee manual; 3.) Health facility trainer’s guide; 4.) PHC Trainer’s guide; 5.) PHC trainee manual; 6.) Diagnostics SOPs/Job aids; 7.) Treatment SOPs/Job aids. This will be done by convening review workshops for stakeholders (donors, partners, regulatory agencies, providers and the academia) to revise, update and unbundle the above listed; harmonize inputs from the workshops and produce drafts of revised documents.
- An initial workshop, which was for the revision of the National malaria diagnostics and treatment guidelines, has taken place and a revised document produced. There is still an outstanding task for the revision and extraction of the remaining documents, hence this consultancy.
Description of Services to be Performed
The consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Develop a methodology that will guide the entire revision process including workshops agenda, list of participants, and presentations
- Facilitate three separate three-day workshops to revise the training manuals and extract SOPs/job aids respectively and submit workshop reports
- Harmonize feedbacks from workshops and use inputs to develop draft revised documents
- Finalize the proposed agenda and a list of participants and facilitate two separate one-day validation meeting for validating the manuals and SOPs/job aids
- Finalize training manuals and SOP/Job aids with inputs from validation meeting
- Write and submit revision process report
- Workshops’ methodology with proposed agenda, and proposed participant list Reports of Revision and validation workshops Final, and validated copies of revised training manual sets that reflects adult teaching methodology and knowledge retention evaluation tools, extracted SOPs and Job aids.
- Workshop methodology including draft agenda, list of participants and presentations for workshops 1 and 2-revision of training manuals – (2 days)
- Hold consultative meeting with NMEP and submit finalized agenda, list of participants and workshop methodology for workshops 1 and 2 – (2 days)
- Facilitate a three-day workshop on revision of training manuals for secondary and tertiary facilities(Case management training manual for health facility-Tutor’s guide, Case management training manual for health facility-Participants’ manual) – (3 days)
- Facilitate a three-day workshop on revision of training manuals for PHC (Case management training manual for PHC-Tutor’s guide, Case management training manual for PHC-Participants’ manual) – (3 days)
- Incorporates feedback from workshop, NMEP and MSH to produce draft revised manuals – (10 days)
- Workshop methodology including agenda, list of participants and presentations for workshop 3- extraction/ development of SOPs and job aids – (2 days)
- Facilitate a two-day workshop to extract/develop case management SOPs and job aids – (2 days)
- Incorporates feedback from workshop, NMEP and MSH to produce draft SOPs/job aids – (5 days)
- Facilitate a three-day workshop to validate case management training manuals, SOPs and job aids (3 days)
- Submit final copies of revised training manuals, extracted, and developed SOP and Job aids (3 days)
- The consultant will report directly to PMI-S Senior Malaria Technical Advisor as well as the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP).
The suitable candidate should meet the following requirements:
- Post-graduate University / Fellowship Degree in Medicine or a related field.
- Deep knowledge and in-depth understanding on malaria case management strategic documents and guidelines, training manuals, SOP and job aids.
- Proven experience in providing in-service trainings at state level, on malaria preferably
- Health tutor’s qualification or proven experience developing at least 4 health training guides/manuals in lieu of the tutors qualification is required
- Demonstrable experience in developing health training materials
- Experience and expertise in facilitating policy document development and review
- Previously engaged or experience working with the NMEP on related assignments
- Excellent note-taking and report writing skills
- High-level communication and facilitation skills to facilitate workshop of this nature
- Demonstrated ability to manage team, collaboration and coordination.
- Fluency in English language (both writing and oral)
- Computer literacy
- Possession of a health tutor qualification will be an added advantage.
Application Closing Date
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online