The Mines Advisory Group (MAG) is a global humanitarian and advocacy organisation that finds, removes and destroys landmines, cluster munitions and unexploded bombs from places affected by conflict.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Programme Manager (Arms Management and Destruction), Nigeria
Job Type: Fixed Term for 12 months (with the possibility of extension, subject to receipt of funding)
About the Role
- MAG is recruiting for a Programme Manager to support our Nigeria programme. This is an exciting time to join our growing MAG Nigeria team, supporting community liaison strategies and working with partner organisations to support MAG’s AMD activities.
- The Programme Manager will be responsible for providing senior level support to the Country Director (CD) in the effective integration of strategic, programmatic and operational management and the development of new business, in compliance with contractual obligations and MAG’s mission and mandate.
- The PM will be responsible for the day-to-day management of all aspects of MAG’s AMD activities in the region will also be responsible for information management and developing systems within the programme.
- A key aspect of this role will include supporting with the development of Community Liaison programme strategies (including survey design and needs/ impact assessments) and implementation plans in coordination with the Country Director.
- Additionally, this role will include grant/contract management, proposal development, donor liaison, business development, people management and capacity building relating to AMD activities. The base location for this position will be Abuja, with regular travel to our field bases around Nigeria.
- Assist the CD in providing effective representation to donors, local authorities, partners, NGO forums and other stakeholders relevant to MAG’s Nigeria response in regards to AMD activities to ensure that MAG’s mission, values and specific project objectives are clearly understood and supported.
- Across Nigeria, act as the key AMD focal point for MAG representation for all relevant stakeholders together with other key senior staff members.
- As a member of Nigeria’s Senior Management team, inform peer members of any potential problems related to external relationships and provide pro-active solutions to action.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders in the region
- Ensure all relevant parties are kept informed of MAG’s AMD activities as appropriate
- Proactively identify and pursue new AMD opportunities to maximize MAG’s impact in the region and ensure continuity and stability.
- Support the CD in identifying and pursuing opportunities to expand MAG AMD programme activities in new locations
- Support the CD in identifying and pursuing opportunities to improve the quality of MAG programming in AMD across areas of operation.
- Assist the CD with detailed stakeholder mapping and analysis for Nigeria response as well as the region to support business development
- Working with the PO, contribute to the development of high quality proposals and reports in relation to AMD activities to support with business development opportunities
- In coordination with relevant colleagues, coordinate, maintain and manage effective relationships with national partners
- In coordination with relevant colleagues oversee and manage the project implementation of national partners
- Together with the PM HMA, CD and PO, manage MAG’s partnerships strategy and ensure it is integrated within the programme and in the implementation of the annual business plan
- Ensure coordination with programme and finance staff in the supervision, evaluation and monitoring of partnership projects and sub-grants
- Negotiate and implement MoUs with partners as required, and prepare technical agreements per project / grant
Contract Management & Reporting:
- Ensure that robust information management, data collection and reporting systems are in place for AMD activities.
- Contribute to the production of high-quality proposals, reports and case studies related to the AMD programme.
- Ensure that all activities are implemented in line with donor requirements and in accordance with MAG, country and international standards, rules and regulations.
Liaison and Capacity Building:
- Support with the development of Community Liaison programme strategies (including survey design and needs/ impact assessments) and implementation plans in coordination with the CD.
- Assist the SMT in ensuring MAG’s approach to community participation in AMD activities is integrated into the planning and implementation of programme activities.
- Undertake the management and monitoring of AMD Community Liaison (CL) resources and activities and be responsible for the gathering and dissemination of relevant and accurate information to enable informed decision making, maximisation of impact and the achievement of MAG’s vision, mission and key aims.
People Management and Training:
- Supervise the day-to-day work of team members, ensuring that all deadlines are met and that work is of suitable quality.
- Supervise and line-manage MAG staff in line with HR policies and procedures
- Plan and deliver capacity-building opportunities for team members.
Base Management and Logistics:
- Where required, support with the day to day supervision of the Base in conjunction with the national logistics staff.
- Support the Finance and Support Service Manager with the oversight of logistics
- Health, Safety and Security:
- Where required, support the CD and Security Officer in maintaining oversight of project health, safety and security plans, policies and controls to ensure the safety and security of MAG staff, assets and resources.
All International staff are expected to undertake the following general duties:
- Work within the framework of MAG’s core values, promoting its ethos and mission statement.
- Work towards achieving programme and/or department business plan objectives
- Ensure familiarity with and adhere to all MAG policies and procedures and keep informed of MAG activities
- Undertake and apply learning from appropriate training and development programmes.
- Undertake role in developing countries and areas in conflict where standards of living may be basic.
- Undertake the role in a manner appropriate to the cultural context and within the local legal framework
- Understand and uphold the standards outlined in MAG’s Safeguarding Framework, acting with due care and attention to safeguard the wellbeing of anyone that comes into contact with MAG’s work and reporting concerns if they do arise.
This is a non-contractual document that can be varied from time to time as circumstances dictate. This job description is intended to summarize the main duties and responsibilities of the post; this is not intended to be a full and exhaustive list of tasks. All MAG staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility and willingness to perform appropriate tasks when the need arises.
Some Job Descriptions may be supplemented by specific Terms of Reference.
- Experience in community development activities, including familiarity with survey design, and conducting needs assessments in order to design and implement appropriate interventions and guide activities.
- Experience of working overseas on development/humanitarian projects
- Experience of developing and supporting projects including implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation and contract compliance
- Proven expertise in the development of new business, including proposals development, networking and contract negotiations
- Experience of having developed successful relationships and negotiated with donors, government bodies, other NGOs and local partners
- Experience of producing high-quality donor reports and proposals
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating development projects.
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Strong writing skills to be able to write proposals, budgets and reports etc
- Strong information management skills
- Strong representation, communication and negotiation skills
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple activities sometimes with conflicting deadlines
- Proven ability to motivate and develop a team
- Effective financial management skills
- Proactive, flexible and positive approach to work with the ability to find creative solutions to challenges
- Determined and committed to high-quality standards
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to establish effective working relationships at all levels internally and externally
- Ability to meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure and manage own stress
- Ability to represent and promote MAG
- Ability and willingness to work with uncertainly and demonstrate good judgment
- Self-motivated, flexible and enthusiastic approach to work
- Ability to work independently and operate alone
- Ability and willingness to live and work in a potentially insecure and politically sensitive environment requiring diplomacy
- Able to undertake frequent travel within the region
- Knowledge of the Arms Management and Destruction/ Weapons and Ammunition Management sector
- Experience in West Africa
- The starting salary package for this position is £45,004 GBP / approx. $57,000 USD including all allowances
MAG staff are rewarded with generous benefits:
- Salary: The starting salary package for this position is £45,004 per annum and this increases with service.
- Accommodation: MAG will provide accommodation in-country.
- Leave: We recognise our staff work hard and need the appropriate time out to stay motivated. You’ll have a minimum of six weeks out of the programme per year.
- Flights: MAG provides three international flights home per year.
- Insurance: All international staff are automatically covered by MAG’s comprehensive insurance package including: Personal accident and medical expenses insurance; Death by natural causes insurance and access to 24-hour medical assistance including evacuation and repatriation.
Application Closing Date
26th November, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should return the Application form (in the link below) to: email@example.com using the “Job Title” as the subject of the email.
- Due to the high volume of applications that we receive, we are not able to respond to every application. If you have not heard back from us within 3 weeks of applying, it means that your application has not been successful.
- Please see the Candidate Information Sheet in the application pack for further details on these benefits.
- Please note that as part of MAG’s commitment to safeguarding, this post is subject to background checks before an offer of employment is confirmed.
- MAG is committed to the principles of diversity, equality and inclusion. If you think you would be suited to one of our roles we would welcome your application regardless of your background. We strive to provide an inclusive and supportive working environment where all employees feel respected and supported in fulfilling their potential.