The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme, by the Hungarian Government is offering international students the opportunity to undergo study of all types in Hungary for free. The core mission of the programme is to increase the number of foreign students in Hungary and to encourage Hungarian higher education institutions to attract top foreign students. The Programme is managed by Tempus Public Foundation.
Application Deadline: 15th January 2021
Eligible Countries: International. See list of countries below
To be taken at (country): Hungary
Field of Study: Applicants are encouraged to apply for study fields that are in the educational cooperation programmes between Hungary and the specific Sending Partner.
Watch: How I won 6 Fully-Funded International Scholarships – in Korea, Italy, France, Spain and Hungary
About the Award: Thousands of students from all around the world apply for higher educational studies in Hungary each year. The number of Stipendium Hungaricum applicants is continuously increasing as well as the number of available scholarship places.
The programme is based on bilateral educational cooperation agreements signed between the Ministries responsible for education in the sending countries/territories and Hungary or between institutions. Currently more than 50 Sending Partners are engaged in the programme throughout 4 different continents.
Offered Since: 2013
Type: Stipendium Hungaricum scholarships are available for bachelor, master, one-tier master, doctoral and non-degree programmes (preparatory and specialisation courses).
In the Hungarian education system, one-tier master programmes cover both the bachelor and the master level of studies; therefore it is an undivided master programme that results in a master degree. These one-tier programmes are offered in specific study fields such as general medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, architecture, law, veterinary surgery, forestry engineering, etc.
Eligibility: See full eligibility of all study types in Scholarship Webpage (Link below).
Applications will not be considered in the following cases:
- Hungarian citizens (including those with dual citizenships)
- former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Holders, who are re-applying for studies in the same cycle of education (non-degree studies, bachelor, master, doctoral level) including both full time and partial study programmes
Number of Awardees: Numerous
Value of Scholarship:
- Tuition-free education
- exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend
- non-degree, bachelor, master and one-tier master level: monthly amount of HUF 40 460 (cca EUR 130) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies
- doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140 000 (cca EUR 450) for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180 000 (cca EUR 580) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40 000 to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period
- Medical insurance
- health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act No. 80 of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca EUR 205) a year/person
Duration of Scholarship: Duration of candidate’s chosen program:
- Bachelor programmes: Fulltime: 2-4 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Master programmes: Fulltime: 1.5-2 years. Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- One-tier master programmes: Fulltime: 5-6 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Doctoral programmes: Fulltime: 2+2 years Partial: 1 or 2 semesters
- Non-degree programmes:
- Preparatory course in Hungarian language: 1 year
- Other preparatory and specialisation courses: up to 1 year
List of Eligible Countries: For full time programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, Oriental Republic of Uruguay, Palestine, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Macedonia (FYROM is used at OSCE, UN, CoE, EU and NATO fora), Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Serbia, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Israel, Syrian Arab Republic, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States.
For partial study programmes, students can apply from the following Sending Partners: Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China (only Hudec applicants), Republic of Albania, Republic of Belarus, Republic of India, Republic of Korea, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Turkey, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, Russian Federation, Syrian Arab Republic, United Mexican States.
How to Apply: Apply for a Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Here
- Applications shall be submitted to the responsible authority of the Sending Partner
- It is important to go through all application requirements in the Award Webpage (see Link below) before applying.