Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
We are recruiting to fill the position of:
Job Title: Senior Program Coordinator, Livelihood & Resilience
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: 12 months
About the Role
- The Senior Programme Coordinator Food Security, Sustainable Livelihoods and Resilience provides day to day oversight and strategic leadership on the development and implementation. This includes management of all aspects of the programme, including recruitment and performance management, assessments, designing, planning, implementation, monitoring staff capacity building, reporting, and technical support to the agricultural recovery and sustainable livelihoods programme and all related projects.
- Will be responsible for managing all Christian Aid Livelihoods programmes, projects, and partnerships as well as the effective management of significant associated project budgets. Will hold the broad and strategic remit for the food security, sustainable livelihoods, and resilience portfolio for the programme, with a special interest in agricultural recovery for communities affected by conflict. Will be Thematic Leader on Livelihoods for the Country programme.
- The post holder will lead the development of Christian Aid policy and strategy on Food Security, agricultural livelihoods, agricultural recovery, private sector engagement in the country, and contributing actively to the development of a regional and divisional strategy on livelihoods and engaging with the private sector.
- The post holder will contribute to the representation, brand management of Christian Aid project portfolio, engage with and promote programme communication and fundraising, with institutional donors.
- The role requires technical specialism such as understanding of the sustainable livelihoods framework, understanding of agricultural recovery, resilience framework, humanitarian preparedness and response, value chain analysis, farming as a business and engaging market players, inclusive market systems development, facilitating linkages, and creating space for various players in the market to interact and enabling markets to work for the poor in fostering agricultural recovery.
- The post holder will contribute to developing work norms for cash for work interventions that promote agro-based and none agro-based livelihoods and promote the integration of agri-nutrition in agricultural recovery.
- The eligible candidate must have a postgraduate qualification in a discipline related to agricultural economics, development economics, agriculture, food security, and/or relevant discipline or commensurate work experience in lieu of postgraduate qualification.
- He/she must have at least 3 years of experience in Market-driven approaches, cash for work programming, post-conflict agricultural recovery with an advanced understanding of agricultural extension and communication, support services in IDP settings, agricultural nutrition intervention, and crop agronomy.
- The candidate must have experience in staff management and project management in a cross-cultural environment, budget management experience with outstanding communication skills – written and spoken.
- He/she must have strong problem-solving abilities and the capacity to solve complex issues related to projects’ delivery.
- The candidate must be capable of conducting self both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Christian Aid.
- He/she must be detail orientated, can work independently, and meet deadlines.
- The candidate must be fluent in written and spoken English; and local languages spoken in Southern Borno
As part of your application you will be asked to demonstrate your suitability by giving answers to the following questions:
Strive for Improvement:
- Please tell us about a time when you have identified a better way of doing something having taken into account the implications of your proposal. What was the context? What was your ‘better way’? What was your task? What action(s) did you take? Why? How? What was the outcome? Was your proposal accepted? What was the impact?
- Tell us about a time when you had to make recommendations or take decisions after analysing data, information and other evidence. What was the background? What recommendations or decisions did you have to take? What was your particular task or responsibility? What actions did you take? How did you analyse the information and data? What was the outcome?
- Tell us about a time when you handled a difficult issue with someone else with openness, honesty and respect. What was the context? What did you have to do? What did you say and how? What was the result? If you were successful, how did you know?
Salary & Currency
- N9,871,478 annually.
- The Salary and Currency for this role will be aligned to Band D of the Country Payscale where the role will be based and will be offered as appropriate based on the salary information attached or provided alongside this vacancy announcement.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance, a season ticket loan, and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
Application Closing Date
22nd November, 2020.
10th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- This role requires applicants to have the right to work in the country where this position is based.
- We value diversity and aspire to reflect this in its workforce. We welcome applications from people from all sections of the community, irrespective of race, colour, gender, age, disability, religion or belief.
- You can expect a wide range of rewards and benefits, including a generous holiday allowance and flexibility that will ensure you enjoy a good work/life balance.
- Christian Aid is committed to providing a safe and trusted environment for every person connected to the work we do; and to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour including sexual harassment and exploitation, abuse, and financial misconduct.
- Any candidate offered a job with Christian Aid is expected to share and demonstrate our values and adhere to Christian Aid’s Safeguarding policy and sign Christian Aid’s Code of Conduct.