Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Operations Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Contract length: 1 year with the possibility of extension
Travel: limited travel in northeast Nigeria
- We are looking for an energetic Operations Manager, to support the Country Director with financial, administrative and logistical aspects of daily work, and to work with the whole team to develop new processes and approaches to our operations. This position will be based in Maiduguri, subject to COVID-related travel requirements.
- The Operations Manager oversees the in-country support functions of the Nigeria program to: ensure effective financial management; plan and coordinate administrative, HR and logistics procedures and systems; support safety and security risk management; and devise ways to streamline processes. The Operations Manager will support the country management team (CMT) and global crisis response team where needed.
- The right candidate has an interest in the importance of increasing access to knowledge through language, is a natural team player and capable leader who agrees with TWB ́s basic beliefs and values, and works well virtually with team members based worldwide.
Financial Reporting and Budgeting:
- Support the Country Director in developing the country budget and donor budgets
- Lead the implementation and monitoring of budgets versus actual spend including providing explanations for material variances and the provision of rolling forecasts
- Manage the short-term cash flow requirements of the program, liaising with the Head of Finance and Administration to facilitate cash transfers, top up requests etc.
- Responsible for reporting and analyzing financial information (including budget vs actuals) according to statutory, internal and donor requirements and maintaining audit-ready financial records for projects and for TWB in Nigeria
- Manage the preparation of monthly financial and payroll reporting for management compliance and audit
- Assist the Country Director in ensuring that TWB is compliant with all statutory legislation, particularly with regard to company registration and Nigerian taxation
- Ensure proper internal controls are in place and operating effectively in accordance with TWB standards and government, donor regulations
- Facilitate and provide support to all donor, external and internal audits, in coordination with the Country Director, CR Global Program Manager, Finance team
- Ensure TWB meets requirements under Nigerian law and related registration rules
- Manage the Senior Finance Officer and the Administration and Logistics Officer with clear objectives and mentoring in all areas of their work
- Ensure an efficient logistics and procurement system, including asset management
- Manage the team in regards to procurement activities and ensure donor requirements and TWB rules are met
- Oversee and guarantee seamless logistics of travel and visas
Safety & Security:
- Lead and monitor the implementation and compliance of TWB’s safety and security risk management framework.
- Collaborate with our security partner when planning team members’ trips to the field
Human Resources Management:
- Attract, motivate and retain team’s staff: organize recruitment; develop individual and team skills; create a positive work environment; support team performance
- Actively participate in building a culture that will ensure the organisation is positive, proactive and well placed to respond to a changing environment
- Act as the focal point for staff onboarding and offboarding activities
- Develop and implement improved country financial procedures and processes as agreed with the Finance team and Crisis Response (CR) Global Program Manager
- Any other duties in support of a smooth and efficient programme office
- The role will evolve along with the overall programme as projects and activities develop to reflect the changing language needs of the affected population and humanitarian community in Nigeria. The post holder will report to the Nigeria Country Director with matrix management from the Chief Financial Officer. The Nigeria’s Senior Finance Officer will report to this postholder.
- Experienced finance professional
- Previous experience with non-profit organizations, particularly in disaster relief
- Great communication skills with both in-country team and remote global team
- Able to find creative solutions; willingness to explore new technologies
- Resourceful, able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances and donors’ requests
- Thorough with attention to detail
- 6+ years in business support functions in management positions, including team management, in a large organization
- At least 5 years of proven experience in goal-based / outcome-based planning and budgeting for humanitarian and/or development programs, with strong preference for international experience and/or experience in Nigeria
- Experience working with complex sources of finance (e.g ECHO, DFID, UN, Foundations)
- Experience with QuickBooks.
- Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Administration, Accounting or equivalent and / or MBA and / or other relevant professional qualifications
- Good financial, accounting and logistics management skills and experience in optimizing the use of resources
- Detail-oriented, thorough, accurate, able to meet deadlines, and able to work quickly and steadily in a focused manner
- Knowledge of and experience implementing human resource management frameworks and strategies
- Demonstrated integrity with strong personal values aligned with our mission
- Fluency in English, knowledge of Kanuri or Hausa a plus
- Leadership that supports each person’s development
- Able to manage multidisciplinary teams including when working remotely
We offer in addition to salary:
- An innovative work environment with a diverse and passionate team
- 20 days of annual leave and 10 days of floating holidays
Plus, during deployment:
- Location-specific allowance
- A 3-month Rest & Recuperation cycle, including additional leave and travel
Application Closing Date
17th December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online