North East Regional Initiative (NERI) is an International Development Organization
Experience 5 years
Number of Positions: (1) Kafanchan & Jema’a
Job Location: Kaduna State
Contract Term: Short Time
NLCB is seeking an experienced electrician or electrical engineer to conduct site inspections, generate actionable assessment reports, design and specify electrical and energy storage systems, assist in the writing of procurement documents, and manage installation of new equipment at two radios stations and a television station in the town of Kafanchan, Jema’a LGA, Kaduna State. This position is Short Term Technical Assistance (STTA) and will conclude at the completion of construction at the three activities. Significant experience in public procurement is not required for this position, however the candidate is expected to learn these skills quickly and to actively contribute to the writing of Bills ofQuantity, Specifications, and Scopes of Work. Some CAD will also be required.
Reporting & Supervision:
The STTA Electrical Engineer will work with NERI’s full-time Engineer based in Kafanchan and report to the program’s senior management team in Abuja. The STTA Electrical Engineer and NERI Engineer will work collectively in assessing the systems and managing the upgrades. The STTA’s technical output will be supervised by NERI’s expatriate consulting Engineer based outside of Nigeria.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DELIVERABLES
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Travel to the three project sites in Kafanchan and conduct a detailed assessment of each facility’s electrical system, including mains connection, external and internal wiring, and all loads.
- Conduct load profiling exercises for each facility, working in close collaboration with the facility users. This may include the use of data logger (provided by NERI), manual recording of electrical load throughout the day (and night), and/or estimating the load profile based on past experience, typical load profiles for various types of facilities, and existing or future equipment.
- Site assessments may include inspection of any or all of the following: mains power terminal pole or transformer pole; transformer; overhead or buried cable condition; meter; main electrical panel and any sub-panels; operation of switches, lights, fans, or other equipment; continuity; voltage drop; earth electrode testing; or any other standard electrical test common to such facilities.
- Verbal discussion of the conditions with NERI engineer and NERI’s expatriate consulting engineer to determine necessary inputs to achieve a working and efficient electrical system at the facility. This may include the provision energy storage system (ESS, to mean AC coupled battery inverter or DC coupled inverter charger, plus battery bank) or uninterrupted power supply (UPS, to mean an all-in-one solution); rehabilitation of the mains power; and/or rehabilitation of onsite generator. Solar power (PV) is not anticipated as part of this consultancy.
- In the case that an ESS or UPS will be provided, the STTA (with assistance from the NERI engineer) will determine the best location for the inverter and batteries so that it will easily tie into the existing mains power, generator, and facility wiring.
- Produce a detailed and accurate Site Assessment Report using a format to be developed in collaboration with NERI’s expatriate consulting engineer.
- Conduct engineering analysis to propose detailed technical solutions to improve the quality of the electrical system, including wiring quantities; types and quantities of electrical components such as panels, switches, and outlets; specifications for ESS / UPS tailored to the energy needs; and other equipment as determined in the technical discussions. The technical solution will include detailed technical Drawings, Bills of Quantity, and description of activities to include in the Scope of Works.
- Assist with site meetings, bidder’s meetings, bid clarifications, and bid evaluation during the tendering period.
- Oversee the installation and commissioning of electrical systems in these facilities in the position of NERI Owner’s Engineer on site.
The following outputs are required at each of the three sites:
- Detailed Site Assessment Report for each facility, including photos of all equipment and component of the electrical system. The report template will be developed before the start of the assessment.
- Scope of Work, detailed technical Drawings, and Bill of Quantities for a proposed technical solution.
- The STTA will also assist in the writing of Specifications which will be common to all projects.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- A university degree in Electrical Engineering is required.
- 5 years’ work experience, including 3 years’ experience as an electrician or electrical engineer.
- Documented proficiency in MS Word, MS Excel, and AutoCAD is required. Experience in other electrical engineering software is desirable.
- Ability to take onsite measurements, perform mathematical calculations, track project budget, and record accurately is required.
- Knowledge of building, construction, and rehabilitation principles and design standards with sound ability to produce and interpret architectural and structural drawings.
- Ability to work independently, think creatively, and apply problem-solving skills and provide technical supervision.
- Experience in working with communities to implement grassroots development projects preferred.
- Ability to work under short deadlines and efficiently handle tasks on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Attention to detail and the ability to function well in a team. Experience of working in a conflict environment is a plus.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Fluency in Hausa is preferable.
Method of Application
Qualified applicants MUST submit the following documents to email@example.com by November 30th, 2020:
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all work experience and qualifications; AND
- A cover letter
Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume/CV.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.