Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) Center is an international nonprofit with offices around the world working to improve protection for civilians caught in conflict zones. Our mission is to work with armed actors and civilians in conflict to develop and implement solutions to prevent, mitigate, and respond civilian harm. We are advocates who believe that no civilian caught in conflict should be ignored, and advisors who provide practical solutions to preventing and responding to civilian harm.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Country Director
Reports To: The Regional Director
- CIVIC is seeking highly qualified applicants for the position of Country Director, Nigeria who will be an integral part of the CIVIC program team reporting to the Director, Africa and works closely with other staff members at HQ.
- The Country Director has overall responsibility for leading the implementation of the CIVIC-Nigeria program and management of the office and staff, to achieve CIVIC’s mission and the objectives established in the grant(s).
Overall Management & Leadership
- Provide strategic vision and top-level in-country direction for overall program implementation and reporting; grant management; financial planning; and human resource planning and management.
- Represent CIVIC in formal and informal meetings with government and security officials, international organizations, donors, and national civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC project activities.
- Manage key project personnel including the support of their ongoing professional development to plan, implement, analyze, and report out program activities and results.
- Implement and periodically update CIVIC-Nigeria strategic plans.
- Generate funding from donors in collaboration with national, regional and headquarters staff in alignment with the country office’s strategic plan.
- Manage financial resources and provide oversight for grants.
- Strengthen the quality and effectiveness of existing programs for the protection of civilians; community-based protection; research/analysis; and advocacy.
- Provide technical input to the government of Nigeria, security forces, international donor agencies and civil society groups pertinent to CIVIC project activities and strategic objectives.
- Oversee regular research processes in coordination with CIVIC HQ followed by dissemination of the final products in support of advocacy to advance programmatic and policy changes by various stakeholders, including the Federal and state governments of Nigeria.
- Ensure the development and implementation of strong program monitoring, evaluation and learning functions for all project activities. Manage regular communications with national and international partners to inform them of project progress and results, plans for the development of new projects/activities, and to solicit feedback from decision makers in a position to fund or implement projects in Nigeria.
Financial Management Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight for established financial and administrative processes including procurement, property management, human resources management, vehicle and facilities management, and staff safety and security.
- Coordination with CIVIC headquarters to manage the development and implementation of annual program budgets.
- Ensure the regular and timely preparation and accuracy of financial reports that comply with grant or contract agreements and ensure compliance with all aspects of donor funding and CIVIC policies.
- Authorize expenditures for grant or contract allocations and ensure compliance with procedures required by grant or contract agreements.
- Manage personnel for three or more projects in compliance with CIVIC policies and lead initiatives to develop staff capacity for holistic program delivery and management.
- This position will be supervising over 20 staff directly and indirectly
Key working relationships:
- Internal-All staff-Local & International (Program & Operation staff)
- External -Donor Representatives & Relevant security forces
Educational Qualification & Experience Requirements
- 16+ years plus bachelor’s degree, or 12+ years plus master’s degree experience in international security, conflict prevention/mitigation, peacebuilding, human rights, advocacy and/or other related programs including demonstrated experience in program development, implementation and evaluation; a significant portion of this experience must be direct field implementation.
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a senior member of our team.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake high-level representation and advocacy.
- Demonstrated capacity to mobilize program funding including donor cultivation and proposal writing.
- Demonstrated ability to manage staff and other administrative and financial activities in developing country programs – such as through at least five years’ experience in a management position.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to effectively lead a team, communicate a vision, make timely and transparent decisions, and manage conflict.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the development of budgets and monitor financial status.
- Ability to oversee the development of design and implement workshops, seminars, surveys, monitoring systems and evaluations.
- Experience in research design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills, including the ability to quickly synthesize complex technical and programmatic issues into concise communications.
- Knowledge and experience managing compliance to a diverse set of national government and international donors such as the British FCDO and European Union.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills that effectively motivate staff and support team building; demonstrated ability to manage a professional team in a multi-cultural environment.
- Well established and practiced organizational and planning skills.
- Computer literacy, including use of internet, word processing and spreadsheets.
- Experience with staff security and safety issues in unstable contexts is desirable.
- Ability and willingness to travel within Nigeria, including too deep-field project sites in conflict-affected areas, and periodically internationally.
- Fluency in English in mandatory, fluency in other languages common to NE Nigeria and French is desirable.
- A sense of humor and a passion for people and leadership.
- Up to 35% travel is required for Domestic and International
Application Closing Date
31st December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- “CIVIC is an equal – opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, etc.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”.