Medecins Sans Frontieres is a private, international organisation. The organisation is made up mainly of doctors and health sector workers and is also open to all other professions which might help in achieving its aims. Médecins Sans Frontières provides assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict. They do so irrespective of race, religion, creed or political convictions.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Medical Doctor
Location: Abakaliki, Ebonyi
Contract Period: Indefinite
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Apply medical knowledge and skills to diagnose and prevention. Carry out outpatient and inpatient consultations, prescribing the necessary treatment respecting MSF protocols.
- Keep the patient and / or his / her family informed about the illness and provide appropriate explanations about the treatment to follow, checking they have understood.
- Follow up the evolution of the hospitalized / IDP patients, through daily visits , consultations and examinations, prescribing the necessary treatment following MSF protocols, deciding whether they can be discharged or transferred to other departments – in collaboration with other doctors- and informing their family about the patient’s evolution.
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility and take care the quality, disinfection and sterilization of the medical material. Assure general compliance with standing hygiene standards.
- Participate in the collection and analysis of epidemiological data, checking its validity and informing the line manager or project coordinator about any problem or complication of the patients illness, medical error and monitors the proper functioning of the department, equipment or material.
- Ensure ongoing training of the medical / paramedical multidisciplinary team in order to optimize the quality of care.
- Knows and ensures all MSF medical protocols are followed and implemented, checking universal precautions are followed at all times and reducing bio-hazard risks and improving infection control. Ensures professional confidentiality is respected.
- Manage the team under his / her direct responsibility according to MSF HR policies and procedures, supervising their performance, organizing and scheduling shifts and rotations, directly participating in emergencies and on calls if necessary.
MSF Section / Context Specific Accountabilities
- Actively participates in improving the quality of curative and supportive care to Lassa patients in collaboration with the partner (the Ministry of Health: Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital, Abakaliki) based on MSF-NCDC protocols and respect of policies put in place.
- Participates actively in the training program established in the project according to the schedule.
- Provide a mentoring supporting for the partner’s staff (MoH) concerning the clinical management of Lassa fever patients.
- Participates in the elaboration of monthly medical reports by providing the necessary medical information’s and data analysis without excluding the facilitation of reliable data collection.
- Contributes to the respect of Lassa, COVID19 infection prevention and control (IPC) protocols, as well as to the respect of standard hospital hygiene procedures.
- Contributes to the consolidation of teamwork with other members of the medical team, in order to strengthen and provide patients with the necessary care.
- This job profile is not exhaustive, the candidate must be prepared to respond to any task related to the position of Medical Doctor should the need arise.
- Any other task assigned by supervisor
Minimum Required Skills and Qualifications
- Education: MBBS Desirable, Diploma in Tropical Medicine essential.
- Experience: 2 years minimum experience as a Medical Doctor or in clinical setting us essential. A minimum 1 year experience in Viral Haemorrhagic Fever (VHF) context (Lassa fever or Ebola) Clinical Research is an added advantage.
- Competencies: Results, Teamwork, Flexibility, Commitment to MSF’s principles.
Application Closing Date
2nd December, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their Application, including Cover Letter, Resume and copy of relevant Certificates to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the “Job title” as subject of the email.
Send Hard Copy to:
MSF Belgium Office,
Block D33, Liberation Estate Abakaliki,
- The following vacancy is open to all residents of Nigeria
- MSF is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply.
- Please note only short-listed candidates will be notified and invited for interview; MSF Belgium takes this opportunity to thank all potential candidates for their application.