About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs. As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
Join any of these Groups to receive Jobs and Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp and Telegram;
General Position Summary
The Cash & Food Security Advisor is a key position of the field leadership in Northeast and throughout Nigeria. Responsible for the drafting and disseminating of a Cash Transfer Programming (CTP) and Food Security strategy, the CFS Advisor will help articulate the vision for Food Security in the North east of Nigeria. The CFS Advisor will take a lead role in representation at various high level cash and Food security coordination venues in and out of the country. The responsibilities of the position will include technical capacity building, mentoring and guidance for in-country programs, develop and support set-up of CTP programs, and support CTP and Food Security coordination and harmonization efforts across Mercy Corps programs and locations. The position will monitor the context and implementation environment as well as the program quality to ensure it remains conducive for CTP expansion (this includes yet not limited to: market viability, financial sector viability, security and community acceptance of CTP). The position will also be responsible for exploring local partnerships and funding opportunities for both immediate programming with an eye to long-term development and create those linkages along with senior management.
Essential Job Responsibilities
STRATEGY & VISION
· Promote and provide guidance on the centrality of cash transfer programming in the sectors in the context of the Nigeria.
· Work with relevant technical sector advisors and field management to optimize use of cash transfer programming to meet basic needs, food assistance, shelter support, WASH, and early economic recovery. Develop, promote Food Security Strategy and provide technical guidance
· Participate and promote the inter-sector integration strategy
· Develop strategies to integrate and address the harmonization of cash transfer programming across Mercy Corps’ implementation areas.
· Develop strategies with the field management and sector leads to ensure that CTP best practices are systematically implemented and up-dated in the overall response interventions.
· Contribute to country-wide strategy development, promoting the centrality of CTP.
· Master CTP modalities and apply knowledge for innovative programming as the core methodology of the collective response.
· Coordinate the harmonization of SOPs, tools, and approaches.
· Collaborate with the program teams and the Monitoring and Evaluation function to conduct relevant assessments, present evidence on effectiveness of CTP, and advise on practices around programming for further expansion.
· Identify various partners (local NGOs, financial institutions, private companies and government) necessary for successful CTP implementation.
· Lead on determining the most appropriate cash delivery modality/modalities for the context. x Develop the capacity of in-country staff working on CTP interventions.
· Infuse market interventions into existing programs to ensure emergency response programs are responsive to local markets and enhance beneficiaries’ coping capacities.
· Monitor CTP programs for minimum standards and program quality and extend technical support on the accountability and response mechanism .
RESEARCH INNOVATION AND LEARNING
● Lead on the development of CVA and Food Security related position, policy and research papers relevant to the MC Nigeria North East context.
● Lead in identifying and documenting, lessons and promising practices from MCN humanitarian
INFLUENCE & REPRESENTATION
● Represent the agency at the Cash Working Groups, Food Security Sector and other relevant coordination mechanisms.
● Nurture relationships with key sector working groups, which implement various forms of CTP
● Support and work effectively in coalitions, networks, forming and nurturing strategic partnerships for advocacy, research and resource mobilization with peer INGOs, NNGOs, Academic institutions
● Build and manage collaborative partnerships with CTP partners.
● Maintain regular communication with other INGOs, local NGOs, donors and government working on CTP interventions.
● Work with the Regional and HQ Program teams in identifying additional opportunities for medium term and longer-term programming involving market-driven programming.
● Work closely with relevant field management staff to develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of operating teams when implementing CTP.
● As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
ACCOUNTABILITY TO BENEFICIARIES
● Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility NONE
Reports Directly To: Team Leader
Works Directly With: field management team members and technical sector leads
Knowledge and Experience
● BA/S in economic development, international relations or other relevant degree;
● 3- 5 years of humanitarian response experience with solid knowledge and experience in Food Security and Cash Transfer Programming.
● Experience implementing Cash sensitive Food Security Programming in complex or insecure environments.
● Proven experience supporting project teams on full project cycle technical needs (design, implementation, M&E, lessons learned), experience in emergency. or protracted crises setting.
● Experience in EFSA/Food Security Assessments, emergency market assessments and analysis,(including EMMA, RAM etc) ;
● Experience in infusing market-driven approaches into emergency programming;
● Experience in identifying and developing local partnerships, including with the private sector;
● Demonstrated ability to manage and communicate effectively with team members of varied work styles;
● Demonstrated flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving;
● Proven ability to learn quickly, lead a program to achieve stated results and objectives;
● Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders;
● Experience working with international NGOs, and/or private sector organizations focused on development or humanitarian assistance;
● Excellent oral and written English skills required;
● Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment;
● Internationally recognized qualification in project or program management or a commitment to obtain the qualification in the early months of work.
The successful candidate will combine exceptional management skills, data analysis skills and experience in maintaining donor and partner relationships. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop, implement and manage innovative programs within the current and future program structure of Mercy Corps in the region. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. Prioritizing, problem solving, ability to seize opportunities, attention to detail and strategic vision are essential. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives. We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct policies and are required to complete mandatory corresponding learning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
Accountability to Participants
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria and may require travel to Abuja. Housing will be in established guesthouses. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
How to apply
Join any of these Groups to receive Jobs and Scholarship alerts on WhatsApp and Telegram;