Helen Keller International – Established in 1915, Helen Keller International (HKI) works to save the sight and lives of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged persons.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Contract Agricultural Officer
Contract Duration: Up-until December 2021
- The Contract Agriculture Officer will support the Nutrition and Healthy Lifestyle Specialist to implement the agronomy component of the healthy lifestyle program involving nutrition education, garden-based production of nutrient-rich crops, and active play in targeted primary schools in Ikeja, Lagos State.
- Work with Mondelēz volunteers and the nutrition focal points for each school to provide supportive supervision to observe and support teachers as they carry out their lesson plans.
- Identify inputs to be provided by Helen Keller to promote school and home gardens. Develop and oversee a training plan that covers soil preparation and planting techniques; appropriate use of fertilizer with organic matter (compost); water-harvesting techniques; garden maintenance; and processing and conservation of garden produce.
- Given the peri-urban context, build the capacity of teachers, parents and community members on how to grow plants in small spaces using a smart farming approach (i.e. planting in recycled containers etc)
- Engage with the LGA Agricultural Extension team to sensitize, advocate for and promote growing of healthy nutritious foods in schools and homes.
- Implement a strategy to create awareness in schools and communities the importance of gardening for diet diversity and nutrition security.
- Work closely with community volunteers (project champions) on the house to house monitoring of home gardens in project’s focal communities.
- Promote engagement of Mondelez volunteers in cultivation of nutrient rich crops.
- Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science, Agronomy, Agricultural Extension or related discipline with a minimum of five years’ experience in agronomical practices
- Prior experience with farming and growing foods in small spaces
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, excellent coordination, organization and problem-solving skills
Application Closing Date
20th May, 2021.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send comprehensive Resume with a Cover Letter as ONE MS Word document to: email@example.com using the position title as the subject of the email.
- You will receive an auto response confirming your application.
- Note that applications will not be accepted after Closing Date above.
- There is no relocation allowance available for this position.